Would giving my psychiatrist a leaving card be inappropriate?

Basically I've been seeing a psychiatrist at Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) since January until adult services have a space for me (I've just turned 18)... and at our last session he told me he's leaving next Friday...

Should I give him a leaving card? I'm only really questioning it because I've only been seeing him weekly since January which isn't that long...

I may or may not make it myself if I can think of a good idea

Update:

If it makes a difference I've been diagnosed with depression, and am already on anti-depressants.

11 Antworten

Relevanz
  • Emily
    Lv 4
    vor 8 Jahren
    Beste Antwort

Do not listen to the idiot that said to go to the dr and get anti-depressants. Whether or not you are already on them, these only give you a temporary fix and do not help the actual problem at all, they just lift your mood. If you are depressed, there is a reason for it and anti depressants won't help you find it, stick with therapy.

Back to the actual question, it's not inappropriate at all. In fact it'll help to show that you are not showing anti-social behavior, which is common among people with depression. Whether or not he's getting paid nicely, he will appreciate it on a personal level. It's always good to show those that help us that we appreciate them too.

• Anonym
    vor 8 Jahren

I don't think it's inappropriate at all! I'm 19 and got transferred from CAMHS a month after I turned 18. I gave my psychiatrist and care co-ordinator thank you cards, and I gave my CPN a leaving card when she left two months before I was due to transfer from CAMHS. It doesn't matter how long you've been seeing them. If they've helped you and you're appreciative of their help then there's no problem with giving them a thank you card, or a leaving card or any other token of your gratitude. I even gave my last CPN a box of chocolates! Good luck transferring to adult services. I hope it goes smoothly for you. :)

Quelle(n): First-hand experience.
  • vor 8 Jahren

Not inappropriate at all. I'm sure your psychiatrist would think it's a nice gesture ;)

(My mom's a therapist and she gets cards or little things, well not all the time, but quite often. She works with many terminally ill patients though so maybe that's a bit of a different situation)

• SunnyD
    Lv 6
    vor 8 Jahren

This is an excellent time to ratchet up the pressure. Make a card to suit the occasion . But be bold. Therapy can go faster if they want to really help. Make a card saying 'Thanks for showing me all the signs'. Or the best of The 'way of all the earth' to you. You will get a reaction I am sure. Maybe even better lessons from now on.

• Wie finden Sie die Antworten? Melden Sie sich an, um über die Antwort abzustimmen.
  • DeAnne
    Lv 7
    vor 8 Jahren

Nice gesture but no need; he was probably paid handsomely. Remember that the teen years are the absolute worst time of your life. I'm surprised any of us survive it. You are struggling with so much stress, pressures, changes... Your body and mind are trying to cope but ... it's hard.

The brain is a very complicated and delicate thing. It can get messed up and be unable to produce any or enough serotonin. This is called a chemical imbalance which is easily treated, very common and nothing to be ashamed of.

It can cause depression, anxiety, panic, obsession, self harm/self hatred, suicidal thoughts, eating disorders, sleeping problems, aggression/rage, anger, phobias, fears, helplessness/hopelessness, hypochondria, ADHD, paranoia, OCD, headaches, lack of interest in things, lack of motivation/ focus and much more.

Go to a dr (not a therapist) and ask for anti-depressants. Zoloft/Sertraline is a good one. With antidepressants, you will be much better, happier, calmer, confident, safer and feel normal. What a difference it makes!

But meds can do only so much. God is the ONLY one who knows what you’re thinking, how you’ve struggled and what you’re going thru. He loves you passionately and wants to be your BFF. He has a super-deluxe custom-made plan for your life that’s beyond anything you ever dreamed of. BUT He waits for us to ask. Invite Him into your heart; ask Him to take over your life and your problems.

Find a big, happy church, join some groups and have fun. Talk with the pastor or youth pastor; he probably deals with this a lot and will have some good ideas. God loves you more than you can possibly imagine :)

• vor 8 Jahren

It's a nice gesture. Nothing wrong with it at all! Good luck in your mental health services.

Quelle(n): Just saying :)
  • Anonym
    vor 8 Jahren

No it wouldn't. Last May I gave my old counselor a leaving card because she had to move and she really liked it and was very happy to get it!

Quelle(n): Experience
  • vor 8 Jahren

It depends on how well you two get on in your meetings. It could be a nice gesture...but i mean then again it could be viewed as creepy. EXCEPT in either case youll never see him again, so it doesn't really matter, does it? May as well do it.

• Ryou
    Lv 6
    vor 8 Jahren

I don't find it inappropriate. I think it would be a very nice gesture on your part. I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

• vor 8 Jahren

No It would be a lovely thing to do.

Quelle(n): My Opinion
Haben Sie noch Fragen? Jetzt beantworten lassen.